Rezero - Foundation for Waste Prevention and Responsible Consumption
Rezero was born in 2005 and is based in Barcelona. The geographic area of work is mainly Catalonia, but also Spain and Europe.
We want to change the consumption and production model and achieve the Zero Waste. For that we promote responsible consumption and waste prevention actions and policies, in cooperation with the economical and social entities.
Victories and key actions
- Policy: Final approval, implementation and follow up of the Balearic Waste and Polluted Soils Law; proposals and discussion panel for the new Catalan Waste – Resources Law; Proposals for the new Food Waste Catalan Law; promotion and coordination of the Reuse Pact in the Balearic Islands.
- Studies: “Balearic Islands towards Zero Waste – current situation and indicators for the transition”; two studies, together with ZWE, about the impacts of single-use menstrual items, baby nappies and wet wipes and measures to reduce those impacts; elaboration of local waste prevention plans.
- Strategic campaigns and projects: First Library of Things of Barcelona; Zero Beach project about marine litter prevention measures in coastal municipalities; Zero Waste Kindergartens; Plastic Health campaign in Catalonia and Balearic Islands and participation and coordination of the European campaign Plastic in the Spotlight together with ZWE and other members.
- Other: Technical advice & coordination of the Responsible Consumption Strategy of Barcelona City Council; Creation and coordination of the Plastic Zero Agreement for Barcelona City, participation in bodies and working groups on waste prevention and circular economy.
Main focus and objectives
- Policy: proposals and discussion panel for the new Catalan Waste – Resources Law; measures to ensure the correct implementation of the Balearic Waste and Polluted Soils Law; Final approval of the Waste Food Catalan Law, lobbying at national and regional level to implement zero waste measures and SUP Directive transposition with the Alianza Residuo Cero.
- Studies and Projects: Executive plan to implement a beverage Return system in Menorca; replicability of the library of things in Barcelona and opening similar services in other regions; Pilot project to prevent and separately collect cigarette butts in Barcelona beaches; reusable menstrual products educational and rise-awareness campaign; project about the link between women and waste; protocol to reduce single-use plastics from supermarkets; Support on the DRS in Balearic Islands, Elaboration of a plastic zero strategy for the 43 markets of Barcelona City.
- Strategic campaigns: coordination and communication of the European campaign Plastic in the Spotlight together with ZWE and other members; Development of a Zero Waste Tourism Campaign; Elaboration of a reuse protocol for customers of Catalan Supermarkets; final stage of the Life Rewine project on reusable wine bottles and continue with other campaigns.