A global outreach for a zero waste future
If waste knows no borders, neither do we. We are aware of Europe’s interdependency and also mindful of our responsibility towards our sisters and brothers around the globe, this is why we work together within GAIA in all continents to advance our common goals.” – Joan Marc Simon, Director-Founder at Zero Waste Europe
Zero Waste Europe is part of the Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives (GAIA) is a worldwide alliance of more than 800 grassroots groups, non-governmental organisations and individuals in over 90 countries, whose ultimate vision is a just, toxic-free world without incineration. Our work falls under the European chapter, coordinating with other regions (Asia Pacific, Africa, North & South America).
Our work within the GAIA network, in collaboration with other GAIA regional offices, members and allies, focuses on the following areas:
- Plastic pollution: we advocate to reverse the ever-increasing trend of single-use plastic production and consumption in order to stop plastic pollution in our ecosystems.
- Climate: we promote the contribution of zero waste solutions to climate change mitigation and adaptation, putting emphasis on local zero waste strategies at the city level and debunking false solutions to climate change.
- Waste trade: we highlight the flaws and injustices of waste trade at the global level and promote real solutions to waste management in Europe and other regions.
- Best practices on zero waste: we collaborate with zero waste cities all over the world, supporting spaces for mutual collaboration and knowledge exchange.
- “Beyond Recovery” campaign: we demonstrate how zero waste strategies can aid in economic recovery while helping achieve social, environmental, and waste management goals – and even more so in a post COVID-19 context.
- Alternatives to incineration: we campaign to put an end to the ineffective and hazardous practice of burning waste and create clean energy solutions instead.