Zero Waste Cashel is an initiative of VOICE (Voice of Concern for the Irish Environment). It was launched in March 2017 and is supported by the EPA, the Southern Region Waste Management Office and Tipperary County Council.
Cashel in Co. Tipperary is Ireland’s first Toward Zero Waste Community. Zero Waste is a global movement based on the principle of the circular economy whereby very little goes to waste through waste prevention, reuse and repair, recycling and composting.
How will Cashel start its Towards Zero-Waste journey?
Set a goal of waste reduction of 25% within one year,
Engage and work together with local groups/businesses/schools/ households,
Organise Town meetings/school assemblies to instil the importance of zero waste initiatives,
Establish sharing and reuse enterprises,
Plan repair and upcycling workshops,
Educate on effective recycling and composting.
Victories and key actions
- We completed a year long study into disposable plastic use in Irish households and schools. As part of this study we developed an online tool for auditing plastic use, and developed a curriculum on plastic reduction for use in schools.
- We ran the Sick of Plastic campaign jointly with Friends of the Earth Ireland. One initiative in Sick of Plastic was a social media campaign called #Loose4Less, in which people shared photos where a product costs more when it’s loose than the packaged option and tagged the supermarket.
- We continued to run the Conscious Cup Campaign, in which cafes and restaurants sign up to offer incentives to customers using a reusable cup rather than a disposable cup. We set up the Picker Pals programme. Picker Pals is an environmental action programme for primary school children, their families, schools, and communities. This has been very successful, with local authorities funding this programme in primary schools.
Main focus and objectives
- We will continue to work with communities and schools to reduce their waste.
- Projects include our Conscious Communities Programme, our Ditch the Disposables workshops, ReCIRCLE Ireland. Ireland’s first re-usable food container scheme, Dublin #Circle City on the go recycling scheme, and the Zero Waste Communities Programme.