Friends of the Earth Cyprus
Friends of the Earth Cyprus (FoE Cyprus) is a non-profit, non-governmental, environmental organization, based in Limassol.
The organization was established in 1980 and since then has campaigned on a number of local, national, regional and international environmental issues. Main goal of the organization is to raise awareness on the importance of preserving the natural environment and to campaign for solutions to environmental and social problems by promoting sustainable policies. FoE Cyprus is part of the Friends of the Earth International network and the European Environmental Bureau.
In Cyprus FoE is closely collaborating with other environmental NGOs and is a member of the Federation of Environmental and Ecological Organizations of Cyprus. Currently FoE Cyprus has approximately 400 members most of which are young people that are actively campaigning on various environmental issues.
Victories and key actions
- We created on online map on our website and engaged the public to mark locations facing illegal dumping and littering. When a given location was cleaned up, it was marked with a green heart.
- We organised several cleanups and brand audits.
- We mobilised the authorities to help in cleanups and prevent pollution in the future.
- We hosted awareness-raising events in collaboration with experts from our network.
- We advocated for a zero waste strategy in Cyprus
Main focus and objectives
- We will campaign for the reduction of waste created during the carnival based on a research we conducted especially for that purpose.
- We will organise a conference to present Plastic Atlas and Zero Waste Cities.
- We will host a training on Zero Waste Cities addressed to government officials with the participation of experts from Zero Waste Europe.
- We will create a network of Cypriot NGOs working on plastics and waste
- We will advocate for the implementation of the SUP Directive and a for a Zero Waste Strategy.