Friends of the Earth Croatia
Zelena akcija is a leading non-governmental organization for environmental protection in Croatia. Its activist approach in solving environmental problems enables its staff and volunteers to effectively deal with challenging and often, serious issues. Zelena Akcija is well known for its attractive and imaginative public advocacy actions and campaigns.
Zelena Akcija was founded in 1990 and its headquarters are in Zagreb, Croatia. A small team of professionals supports the work of numerous volunteers and activists, who cover a wide range of topics in their work (waste, energy, climate, urbanism, rivers, GMO, agriculture, transport etc.). Zelena Akcija is active on local, national and global levels and promotes the protection of nature and the environment while advocating for sustainable development in Croatian and other communities. It also focuses on activities that foster public participation in decision-making processes with the aim of improving the quality of life in Croatia.
Victories and key actions
- The recent campaign against the construction of the waste incineration plant in Zagreb. After several years of campaigning, the mayor was forced to abandon the construction of the plant and we won!
- The creation of some of the first zero waste municipalities. In 2015 our Zero Waste Cities Programme Coordinator prepared recommendations for improving the local waste system according to the zero waste strategy in 7 municipalities in North Croatia, and very quickly they became leaders in separate waste collection and waste reduction. With this victory, we showed that zero waste is possible and were able to convince other municipalities to resist the harmful national policies and pressures created over the past years.
Main focus and objectives
- Working with zero waste municipalities across Croatia.
- Progressing in the existing ones round table on SUP Directive implementation.
- Plastic Free Week (workshops, movie screenings…).
- Street actions during the Croatia EU’s Presidency.
- Several campaigns in Zagreb: EU Capital of Trash, improvements in separate waste collection and in payment method against waste coincineration in MBTs.
- Stopping the construction of MBT facilities for food waste.
- Starting a new project in our office (upcycling, repair) in addition to the existing bicycle repair cafe.
- Organising a 3-day-long environmental movie festival Strengthening the Zero Waste Croatia Network of NGOs.
- Organising new project in schools about prevention, reuse and recycling (education, workshops…)