Loading Events

« All Events

  • This event has passed.

Redesigning Producer Responsibility: a new EPR is needed for circular economy

14/10/2015 @ 14:30 - 17:00

October 14th 2015 from 14.30 to 17.00 / Mundo B, rue d’Edimbourg 26, 1050 Brussels

A new study commissioned by Zero Waste Europe finds majority of product waste not covered by current Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) schemes and calls for redesigning it in order to move towards a circular economy.

Key findings from the new study covering 15 European cities show that 70% of municipal solid waste is product waste and as such could be included under an EPR scheme. However currently only 45% of this product waste (by weight) is covered by the producer responsibility scheme. Furthermore, only 18% of product waste is collected separately through an EPR scheme. This certainly rises questions on the effectiveness of existing schemes and on the financial burden of managing the remaining 82% of product waste that is not collected separately nor falls under an EPR scheme.

This study provides new evidence about the potential for improving EPR schemes in Europe and the need to use the upcoming waste package proposal to ensure that producers really take responsibility whilst providing the appropriate incentives to redesign systems and products.

 

14.15 Registration

14.30- 14.40 Welcoming words and general introduction, Joan Marc Simon, Director of ZWE

14.40- 15.15 Presentation of Zero Waste Europe’s report ‘Redesigning Producer Responsibility: a new EPR is needed for Circular Economy’ by Víctor Mitjans

15.15-16.45 Open debate on the role of EPR schemes for circular economy, with particular attention to:

  • EPR within the new Circular Economy Package by the Silvija Aile of the European Commission (DG ENV)
  • The case of packaging in Belgium by Rob Buurmann of BBLV

16.45-17.00 Conclusions/closing remarks

 

Registration required – places limited!- :

[contact-form-7 id=”9922″ title=”Registration conference EPR”]

Details

Date:
14/10/2015
Time:
14:30 - 17:00
Event Category:

Organiser

Zero Waste Europe
Phone:
+32 (0) 2 503 64 88
Email:
info@zerowasteeurope.eu
Website:
www.zerowasteeurope.eu

Venue

Mundo B
rue d’Edimbourg 26
Brussels,1050Belgium
+ Google Map